SUNY Buffalo Chapter of Beta Phi Mu
Presidential News and Notes
By Jim Tammaro, Chapter President
Dear fellow chapter members!
As your chapter president, I am committing myself to give it 100%, as my fellow board members are, to encouraging greater participation by our chapter membership. In keeping with this thought, my goal will be to post my thoughts on our website on a monthly basis regarding what is happening with the chapter and how you can become more involved with the chapter activities. We can’t have a vibrant chapter without you!
I was thrilled a number of the previous board members were willing to once again serve on the chapter’s board. That is quite a commitment by some of the most outstanding chapter members we have. I was even more thrilled that Sara Brown stepped forward and became a new member of the board. Thank you once again Sara Brown. Next year, it will be imperative that more “Sara Browns” join the board if the chapter is to survive and excel.
On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 6:30 PM in Baldy Hall, the newly elected board will be holding its annual long-range planning meeting to plan chapter events for the coming year. Even though it is a board meeting, the meeting will be open to all chapter members so those members located in the Buffalo-Rochester Area can certainly attend it in person but just as importantly, those chapter members located outside the area can attend the meeting via Skype. Just provide us with your Skype information and we’ll pull you into the meeting.
The board is tentatively thinking about planning at least two professional events during the coming year and since we will be holding these events via Skype and other telecommunication resources, everyone who is a member of the chapter will have the opportunity to take advantage of these events no matter where they are located.
In addition, over the next month, I’ll be sending an individual e-mail message to each chapter member encouraging them to become actively involved in our chapter activities.
Our Beta Phi Mu Chapter can’t become the great chapter it can be without the active participation of all members of the chapter. Here are some ways each chapter member can help the Board make the chapter great:
- Actively participate in our chapter’s planned educational events in person or by Skype.
- Provide the board your ideas as to the types of events you would like to see held this coming year and your ideas about other activities you’d like to see the chapter carry out.
- Think now about the possibility of serving on the chapter board when we hold elections again next fall.
- Read and respond to the individual e-mail message I’ll be sending out to each chapter member asking for their suggestions and input on the chapter.
- Promoting your membership in the chapter by citing your membership on your resume and talking about your chapter membership in your work environment among other ways.
Again, the board is willing to work very hard to make the chapter great but we really can’t do it alone. We need all the members to get involved to the extent they can. If you have any ideas on what you’d like to see the chapter do, how you’d like to get involved in the chapter activities or other thoughts about the chapter operations, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.