The Beta Delta's annual meeting will be held on Monday, April 11th, 2016.
Dinner will be at Sean Patrick's Restaurant, 3480 Millersport Highway, Getzville, NY 14068.
There will be a cash bar from 5:30-6:30 with dinner starting at 6:30 and the ceremonies beginning around 8:00 PM.
Watch the website for information about RSVPing. Email the board for further details.
The Department of Library and Information Studies is pleased to announce the induction of eight new members into the local chapter of the library and information studies honor society, Beta Phi Mu.
Founded in 1948, Beta Phi Mu recognizes and encourages scholastic achievement among library and information studies students. The name of the society derives from the initials of the Greek words Bibliothekarios philax mathesis, meaning “librarians are the guardians of knowledge.” The society’s motto, Aliis inserviendo consumor, means “Consumed in the service of others.” Over 35,000 graduates of accredited library and information studies programs in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom have been initiated into Beta Phi Mu. Our latest inductees, selected from the pool of recent graduates on the basis of high academic achievement and a faculty assessment of their professional leadership potential, were invited to attend a ceremony and reception on October
Congratulations to new Beta Phi Mu members: Tracy N. Dunstan, Sarah S. Easton, Andrea L. Fetterly, Allison M. Fischer, Eileen Bauer Gardner, Christina M. Karvounis, Amanda F. McCormick, and Kimberly J. Whittemore.
LIS Chapter of Beta Phi Mu – Presidential News and Notes
By Jim Tammaro, Chapter President
- The LIS Chapter held a board meeting on September 16th. During the meeting a number of subjects were discussed. Some of the more important subjects included:
- Based on early returns, it appears the membership is voting in favor of the changes in the chapter by-laws. Once the voting period is officially ended, if the by-laws are approved, a copy of the amended by-laws will be uploaded to the chapter’s website.
- Major improvements have been made in the chapter’s website which should prove to be a benefit to the entire membership.
- The chapter will hold an induction ceremony for new members of the chapter on Monday, October 5th at 7:00 PM in a meeting room on the 5th floor of Baldy Hall on the North Campus of SUNY Buffalo. The room will be equipped with telecommunications equipment so that chapter members from outside the Buffalo Area can participate in the induction ceremony.
- The board approved supporting various LIS events such as the Bobinski Lecture Series talks by having chapter members volunteer to assist with the preparations for the events.
- The board determined to hold the annual chapter meeting sometime in April of 2016.
- The next board meeting will be held Wednesday, November 18th at 6:30 PM in a meeting room on the 5th floor of Baldy Hall on the north campus of SUNY Buffalo.
Beta Delta will be hosting an initiation reception for new members on Oct. 5 at 7:00pm, Baldy 553 at UB's North campus.
Save the date!
Next Chapter Board Meeting – The next meeting of the Chapter’s Board of Officers will be held Wednesday, September 16th at 7:00 PM in Baldy 594 on the Amherst Campus. Anyone is welcome to attend. If you have any issues you would like brought up at the meeting, please contact one of your Chapter Officers.
Save the date for the annual meeting and Induction Ceremony – The Chapter’s Annual Meeting and Induction Ceremony will be in the form of a reception and be held on Monday, October 5th at 7:00 PM in Baldy 553 on the Amherst Campus. The Board is in the process of working with the on-campus catering services to determine the food and beverages that will be offered at the reception. We hope to see you there!
Proposals for Amending the Chapter By-laws To Be Voted on Soon – At its last meeting the Chapter’s Board discussed amending the Chapter’s by-laws to reflect some necessary changes needed with the by-laws. In connection with this matter, the Board will be sending out to the membership a copy of the original bylaws along with the proposed amendments for the memberships review. Then, on Monday, August 24th a Survey Monkey site will be sent to the membership to be used by the membership to vote on the proposed changes in the bylaws.
The Beta Delta board will next meet on May 28th, 2015. This meeting will address the rescheduling of the annual meeting and induction ceremony, as well as upcoming elections for new officers to the Board. Please email the President for further information.
- The LIS Chapter held a board meeting on January 13th. During the course of the meeting a number of items were discussed. Some of the more important issues were:
- The board approved the final draft of the Chapter’s Officer Position Descriptions which provides detailed information about the responsibilities of each Board position. The document can be found on our website.
- The board approved the final draft of the proposed bylaw changes which will go to the chapter membership for a vote in the near future.
- The board discussed the process for the selection of new inductees into the Chapter.
- The board set the date for the Chapter’s annual initiation banquet and annual meeting for Thursday, March 12th at 6:00 PM at the Protocol Restaurant on Transit Road in Williamsville. To make a reservation for the meeting, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Brenda Battleson at email@example.com.
- The board decided the Chapter would co-sponsor The Bobinski Lecture featuring Dr. David Weinberg on March 10th at the Buffalo History Museum.
- The chapter will be holding elections for new officers to the board this summer or fall so if you are a member in good standing with the Chapter and you’d like to get more involved with our Chapter operations, think about running for a Chapter Office!
- The Chapter Board is still interested in having the Chapter carry out one or two service-related projects over the coming year. So, if you’ve got an idea for a project the Chapter could carry out or assist with, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
President Jim Tammaro and Secretary/Treasurer Brenda Battleson
The 2014 Board officers are:
President: Jim Tammaro
Vice President: Amy Miller
Secretary/Treasurer: Brenda Battleson
Directors: Christopher Conrad, Esther Jackson, Carolyn Klotzbach, and Kelly Sallander.
Sponsor: PD loan
Proposals for Amending the Chapter By-laws To Be Voted on Soon – At its last meeting the Chapter’s Board discussed amending the Chapter’s by-laws to reflect some necessary changes needed with the by-laws. In the near future, we will be holding a vote on the proposed amendments to the by-laws. So be on the lookout for a Survey Monkey ballot coming your way to vote on the proposed amendments to the by-laws.
Save the date for the annual meeting and Induction Ceremony – The Chapter’s Annual Meeting and Induction Ceremony will be held Thursday, March 12th at 6:00 PM at a location to be determined. We hope to see you there!